Anyway, right to it. I created this blog so I could chronicle my efforts to plan my wedding. Both my fiance and I are meagre "history people" who work low-paying museum jobs. We live in a small apartment in Richmond, Virginia, have two cats, and spend most of our money on reenacting.
No, we will not be having a "period" wedding. It's just not my thing. I have about a million reasons, I'll spare you.
We've set our date to March, 2014. This gives us 16 months to shake out our couch cushions, call in favors, and barter our way to a small, DIY, but tasteful wedding and reception.
I decided pretty quickly that sewing my own wedding dress would be the most cost efficient route. Don't get me wrong, I've spent hours on the couch ooing and ahhing over the $3,000 dresses on "Say Yes to the Dress", but I also happen to realize that some things just aren't possible.
My sewing skills are marginal at best. I've made three 1860's dresses for my hobby, and a few items (stays, petticoat, bodied petticoat, coif, shift) for living history at my job, but moments of cursing/crying/banging my head on the wall in frustration while sewing are still very common. Thankfully, my fiance has been sewing for much longer than I have, and can usually put out any fires that I have set.
I found this adorable 1964 McCall's dress pattern and purchased it for $35.00 - my first official wedding purchase!
Although adorable as is, I think I'm going to change a few things around. First, I am obviously not wearing that hideous bat-like veil/hat thing on my head. Next, I'm going to bring the belt down to the natural waist line. I can't decide if I want to make cap sleeves or keep the long sleeves.
I had half a day off this Saturday so I started in on making my muslin mock up.
Sadly, I've never actually sewn anything "modern" before other than taking in my man-sized Redskins jersey. Luckily, I have already invested in a decent machine and an adjustable dress form. I think my muslin turned out well for the underbodice. I'm feeling kind of awkward about that fish-shaped dart right along the bustline there, but I think it'll look better as a finished product.
I've ordered the actual fabrics for my dress - a dull satin for the skirt and underbodice, and scalloped lace for the bodice. I'd really like to get this done well in advance of our date. No one wants to be attaching zippers the night before their wedding day.
Victoria


No comments:
Post a Comment